Friday, August 20, 2010

July 4, 2010

It is day FIVE of my recovery from surgery and I am so happy to say that it is going very well. The pain and swelling is manageable. (a little tired of icepacks.. lol) I am so grateful to have the procedure behind me as well as the news that all the cancer was removed. Dr. Eaddy said it was the best possible outcome ever! My incision site is about 5’ which was only expected about 2’ so that has been very difficult to look at. And the other incision site from the lymph node biopsy is not in the most comfortable place either. But knowing that it was all necessary to get the cancer is worth the pain! My children laugh at me because I carry my little purple pillow under my arm! My nerves have even settled down but I am still at an emotional battle! Someone asked be the week before my surgery if I was just going to get “some new ones”- as set back as I was by that comment. It hurt…I then thought…NO” God gave me these and I am going to fix this one! “ I am happy how God made me!

Thank you all for being there on my surgery day. I was surrounded by so many of you the entire day. It was tough hearing that my husband had to be taken back home before the surgery because he was in so much pain. (thanks Dave for getting him home!) And thanks BJ for being with me until my parents and daughter Taylor come to the hospital. Having a friend right there in a cold room not knowing what was going to happen next meant so much. BJ- to this day I am sure it was Benjamin’s hug and him cuddling with me before going back to pre-op that helped me be so brave! I felt all of your prayers. I had a very calm feeling over me and I know that it was because our God is the Great Physician and Healer. Even though I was given “very good” meds I hardly remember anything from the day. When Mrs. Beth prayed with my family and I….well that’s all I really remember! Recovery was weird…I could hear everyone one but couldn’t respond…that was some good meds! I remembered Amy's necklace she was wearing..wierd! I have been told that I have talked non-stop recovering from the anesthesia. Even after coming home…for days! Did I say that was some good meds!!

My days are long but are filled with many cards, emails, text messages, fb messages, and calls. Thank you to so many who are providing meals from my family. Thanks to those who come by to just take out the trash, check my mail, play with my children, feed the dog, take the kids out for a dinner, keep my kitchen clean (those who know me..know how important that is!) Trust me, having both Mickey and I in this position is hard. We hardly ever let others besides our family just in and help with the children. You all are doing so much and I will forever be grateful.

My mom has been super through all of this. Not only taking care of me but Mickey and the children too. She has been driving us to Dr appts, picking up meds, cooking, cleaning, the list is endless. And she and my dad took the kids today to spend the night at their house. Thanks Mom!

This week: my goal is to slowly come off the pain meds. They only make me drowsy at times when I over do but hope to be able to just take Tylenol soon. Dr. Eaddy said I could drive when I am totally off the pain meds. And could return to my normal days by Friday. I am still a little weak and get light headed often. So I will be taking that one-day at a time. I will not be able to fully use my left side for several weeks. Just doing the post-op exercises..yuck! Unlike so surgeries my recovery has really just begun. I start my rounds with Dr. Franklin and Dr. Davidson to see who wins…who’s got the best plan for treatment. I have been told radiation then chemo now it is chemo then radiation. I will update everyone when I know. Looking forward to my Nurse MA on Tuesday- and my niece will be here most afternoons too. And Friday I look forward to having happy-playful children back in my home. (just a few..not the full enrollment!) I am sooo ready! I have even scheduled a few photo shoots for the end of the month. I have to keep living and doing what I enjoy doing..and I wlll take the daily struggles and challenges as they come. And I promise to reach out to those when needed..I know I will!

Today as we celebrate the 4th of July- I am proud to be American and am so thankful for the men and women who serve to give us our freedom and those who sacrifice so much. Even though our family was unable to attend church this morning it was wonderful to be able to watch VF live and be apart of worship. Yes- AMERICA DOES HAS HOPE-because of GODS PROMISES… I too have HOPE.

More updates soon-

Love to all-
Heather

Hope does not disappoint us, because God has poured out His love into our Hearts.
Romans 5:5

No comments:

Post a Comment